Splash Damage will stop developing content and updates for Dirty Bomb, the company announced earlier this week.
Dirty Bomb was released two months ago, and after a bug fix is made available “in the coming weeks,” development will cease.
“It’s with a heavy heart that, after a bug fix build ships in the upcoming weeks, we will be ending live development and updates on Dirty Bomb,” according to a developer post on the official website.
“The bottom line is that we can’t financially justify continuing to work on the game we love.”
Servers for the free-to-play FPS will remain accessible provided there’s a “meaningful number of players using them in the supported regions.”
Splash Damage said it spent the summer trying to develop features which would allow players to take control over Dirty Bomb – without its direct involvement.
“We hope that Steam Trading, Community Servers, and FACEIT help you play DB the way you want moving forward,” the post reads (thanks, GI.biz).
The studio will refund money spent on All Merc Pack DLC to those who purchased it. By January 31, 2019, the money will be placed back into players’ Steam Wallets and the unlocked Mercenaries will remain in the account.
Going forward, Splash Damage said it has “many announced and unannounced titles in production.”
Dirty Bomb has a rather interesting history. Announced in late-2012, Dirty Bomb went into closed Alpha the following January. It was renamed Extraction in summer 2013 alongside news Nexon would publish the shooter.
Originally, the plan was to self-publish the game, but the deal with Nexon would provide funds need to maintain servers and ongoing development.
In 2014 the game was renamed Dirty Bomb, and publishing rights to the game were handed back over to Splash Damage in 2017.
It was released out of beta and to the public in August.
The post Splash Damage will end live development of Dirty Bomb “in the upcoming weeks” appeared first on VG247.
Read more here: VG247